1st February is considered by some people to be the beginning of Spring.
There are certainly signs of new life in my part of the UK in the form of snowdrops, primroses, daffodils and crocus.
I have made a pledge this year to spend more time in nature, more time visualising and meditating – and less time on social media. I am doing Morning Pages every day (see ‘The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron). My mind is definitely clearer when I do them regularly. It’s a bit like having windscreen wipers on the brain.
I have also decided to post a monthly writing exercise. Do have a go – and have some fun with it.
Writing Exercise – February
- Set the timer for three minutes. Pick up your pen and jot down everything you can think of about the colour ‘green.’
- Look back at what you’ve written. Underline any words or phrases you particularly like.
- Pick one of these, set the timer for another three minutes, start writing and see where the idea takes you.
- See if you can re-shape what you’ve written into a poem or flash fiction story (approx 250 words).
- Is there a longer story waiting to be written down?
Let me know how you get on!
Check out my book ‘Writing Success: poetry, flash fiction & short story exercises’ for further ideas. Book two coming soon.